May 1, 2009

Help! I have a spoilt kid

Sigh.....yes, I do indeed. Despite Tee's many positive traits, I cannot deny the fact that she is a spoilt kid. Unfortunately, she is the first grandchild on both sides of the family and is our only child for now, so she gets a hell of a lot of attention from the entire family. And because she is the baby of the family on both sides as well, well......guess who rules the roost???

I know I have a spoilt kid because:
  • She doesn't like the answer NO. Whilst she doesn't throw a tantrum, she certainly displays her dissatisfaction clearly. Like, if she doesn't get to listen to her songs in the car, she would close her ears whilst I listen to MY music or she would talk loudly, just so I can't listen to mine. It's a case of if I can't get it then neither can you.
  • She is selfish in most cases and does not like sharing. Her sharing capacity is very limited to the people whom she likes only. Even if someone shares something with her, it doesn't mean she would share back her things with them. She is pretty self-centred.
  • She expects things to be done for her most of the time, the Hubs and I feel like her maid. As much as we try to break this habit, she keeps demanding and demanding and demanding. Well, we just have to keep at it. She will ask us to turn the fan on for her when she can very well get off her butt to do it herself. So now, we just make her do it.
  • She is incredibly impatient. People have to wait for her but she cannot wait for people. She will just nag and whine and complain......
It is not good when you have a spoilt child because you are not doing them any favours. Spoilt children eventually have low self-esteem as adults and do not know how to work for things. They expect everything on a silver platter and are so selfish that they don't make many friends, if any.

I say it's time for a complete Tee emotional behavioural overhaul. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

last time i attended a seminar and i can still remember this.. kids' brains are like a blank paper..whatever we teach them, they will absorb fast, whatever we do, they can remember..
so...
more or less, our influence on them play an important part.. .
talking is easy.. teaching them and telling them what to do and donts are the hardest part.. :)
anyway, all the best to u and yr kid.. we learn along the way, as long as we r happy...

Menchie said...

I am sure that Tee will learn how to share and be less selfish. My Joshua was the same when he was younger. But when his sister was born, a lot of the attention was diverted.

I've found that being firm and following through with what you say and the consequence has helped a lot.

Good luck and keep us updated.

mott said...

You are a very brave mom to admit that she has a spoilt child. Most moms turn a blind eye and ear.

But, about sharing. I hate it. I hate sharing too. Blargh..who likes sharing when you can have it all to yourself! Why should I share? And by that I refer to very specific items, like my camera.

But still..we have to share coz sharing is caring. or so they say. I read my boys the grinch xmas story where his heart grew smaller and blacker like coal when he took away all their xmas deco and toys and food. So small, so black, so yucky. I tell them, if u share, your heart will grow bigger and bigger and bigger! Ok, that's just my stupid ass way of asking them to share.